Tyneside Locksmith & Handyman Service provides a specialist burglary prevention service throughout Tyneside and the North East. Using over 20 years of experience working in the locksmith and security industry, we bring our knowledge to you, helping you keep your property as safe and secure as possible.
We have an extensive amount of experience working within the armed forces and security sector, through this work we have gained valuable knowledge which we can pass on to you.
Look at your property as though you were a burglar. If you think your security is poor, then a burglar will be thinking the same. Look for potential break in points and try to get in your home or office without the use of keys. If you can do so, your security is inadequate.
If you are replacing your windows, always ensure the replacements are certified to either PAS 24 or are BS7950 certified. Use laminated glass as it provides more protection against being smashed.
Fit or get fitted key operated Window Locks, we can recommend the best products and fit these for you. You may need more than one lock per window, depending on the size of the window.
Window Locks can be fitted to all windows, whether they are UPVC, Steel, Composite, Wood or Aluminium.
There are several types of window locks, Casement, Fanlight and more discreet low-profile locks which can be embedded into wooden frames.
If your main access points such as your front or rear doors are not secure, then neither is the rest of your property. If you are replacing your doors, always fit PAS 24 certified units.
Ask for a spy hole and door chain to be fitted to your doors if need be you can ask us if your locks are insurance approved, high security items. Locks can be upgraded and also additional ones can be fitted.
Ensure your doors are thick enough, wooden fitments should be at least 4.4 cm thick.
Ensure you have BS3621 mortice deadlocks plus a rim lock fitted to all external doors. These make it harder for a burglar to get out of your home as you can effectively lock them in.
Have your door hinges checked to see if they are strong enough. Hinge bolts can be fitted for additional security. They help reinforce the hinge side of any door.
Add a letterbox cage to your door, these catch your mail but prevent access through your letterbox.
Rim Locks should be certified to BS3621, also consider having installed automatic deadlocks, door chains or bars and mortice deadlocks.
If you are worried your security is not up to scratch, give us a call to arrange an appointment for a security audit on your property where we can run through the best options available to you, ensuring your property is as secure as possible.
Our burglary prevention service includes a tried and tested security auditing and security upgrade service for any property, whether commercial, retail, organisational or residential.
We can attend your property and audit your entry/exit points, windows and openings to determine if you need additional lock or security upgrades to ensure you have the best protection against burglary. We can also advise you on whether your existing security devices comply with your insurance policy. If we determine that you should upgrade your security and locks, then we can provide you with a free no obligation quote, you can then decide if you would like to go ahead with the upgrades. There are no pressure selling tactics, all quotes are free and the service is hassle free and at a time to suit you.
If you are unsure about whether your security is as good as it could be, you can call us at your convenience to arrange an appointment for a security audit. Below are some handy tips we have compiled to show you what to look out for to help prevent a burglary or break in.
please complete your details on the form to request a free security audit and we will contact you to arrange a suitable time.
- Burglars can try to gain access at any time and most burglaries are opportunist crimes.
- Lock windows and doors when not sight of them.
- Most burglars access a property through an open door or window.
- Keep your valuables out of sight, for instance don’t leave a bunch of keys, laptop or smartphone on the window sill of your front room or in plain sight.
- For easily accessible windows Fit Window Locks for added protection.
- Use Door Chains and Spy Glass on external doors.
- Fit Strengthening bars to wooden doors.
- Never place a spare key under a flower pot, car or hang it inside the door, leave it with a trusted friend or relative.
- Always lock your doors, even if you are at home.
- Fit a Rim Latch on your door.
- Fit strong locks to external doors and windows, and make sure they are locked at all times.
- Always remove all keys from inside locks, and keep them out of sight, in a safe place.
- Fit high security deadlocks (British Standard BS3621) to all doors.
- Ensure your exterior doors and frames are strong and in good condition – wooden doors should be at least 44mm thick.
- Security mark your valuables.
- When you are out when it’s dark, leave your lights on and shut the curtains.
- Install automatic security lighting, if your property looks active, a burglar may think twice.
- Keep your tools and ladders in a locked shed, a burglar could use them to get into your house.
- Ensure your garden gates and access points are secure with strong fencing and strong construction. Consider installing a lock on your garden gate. Don’t place garden furniture or things like pergolas and gazebos close to your home, if you do, they can act as handy climbing frames for burglars.
- If you have a passageway or live in a terraced house, add a strong lockable full height gate across the passageway. This will prevent a burglar gaining access to the rear of your property.
- Never leave your garage or shed unlocked, many thefts from garages and sheds involve high value items and these are some of the most common losses:
- – Mountain Bikes, Speed Bikes and other cycles.
- – Tooling such as MiG welders, compressors, Power Tools and high value hand tools.
- – Lawnmowers and other electrical garden tools.
- – Sports and Gym Equipment.
- – Cars and Car parts.
- Keep high value tools in a lockable steel box bolted to the floor.
- Ensure shed and garage locks are high security.
- Have a good quality professionally fitted Burglar Alarm installed and consider CCTV. There are BSI standards that alarm systems should meet for insurance purposes.
- Mark your high value items with an ultraviolet pen or other smart marking system such as microdots.
- Keep records of all your valuables and always tell your insurance company of the value of your items and exactly what make, model and serial numbers they have.
- Always keep your money in the bank.
- Keep important documents locked up to prevent identity theft.
Tyneside Locksmith & Handyman Service charges no call out fees, there are no hidden charges and no VAT is charged. Tyneside Locksmith & Handyman Service is a locally based company that is not part of a national chain or a franchise, we truly are a local and independent family run company